Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Reflecting back on my expierences

Well our time at our first clinical is almost over, we have one day left. And while I'm not going to miss it, I gained a vast amount of knowledge from my short time there. I got to see a rare glimpse into the other side of nursing homes. I saw a perspective of how it feels to be a patient who cant do anything for themselves and how much that has to effect a person who once was the sole provider of their family. I've seen tears, and Ive seen laughter, but the ones that get you the most are the ones that are locked up inside their own bodies. I know now why my grandmother is so afraid of going into a nursing home, its not so much the care, but its the fear of not being able to do anything for herself, from feeding to bathing, picking out your clothes, even going to the bathroom. Its a scary thing for me to think about it too. At the same time , I was able to help so many of them just to see a new face, a new person to talk with sometimes to sing with, sometimes to hold on to. So as I leave my first experience as a student behind I am looking forward to the next challenge next quarter.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you learned so much and liked it! Way to go for pushing until you are well on your way to your destined career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you learned at lot of lessons, tangible and otherwise. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete