Monday, April 13, 2009

Never leave a panic stricken mother to explain things...

The other day, we had a severe thunderstorm warning and Tornado warning as well as a high wind advisory. At 10pm the power went out and we were all in total darkness... I kept hearing a funny buzzing noise from outside (which later turned out to be the power lines laying on the road..) Then I hear the tornado sirens go off. My 8yr old comes running in going whats that? He never goes to sleep on time.. The loud thunder and torrential down pouring rain woke up the 4yr old as all this was going on I was searching for candles for light. My husband was checking the weather on his wireless laptop and it was saying there was a tornado spotted on post where we live!! and we were to take cover immediately. We hurried to gather the kids up and rush to my closet (its the biggest and no windows or glass near by. I had to wake up Antonio as he was passed out cold. As we all huddled in the closet, 3 kids, 2 adults, 2 dogs..lol and just a candle to see by the kids were worried. I am deathly afraid of storms and tornado's myself which didn't help. They asked all sorts of stuff like .. Could we die?, Why are we in the closet?, How long do we need to stay here? If we have to leave for the school shelter what happens to our pets? I usually answer with truth since I don't like lying to my boys about anything. I told them, yes if the tornado does hit our house we might not make it. and no we couldn't take the dogs with us , they would have to stay behind. Later after power was restored the next morning I realized that I probably just instilled the same fear of storms I have in my children, but then is that really a bad thing to be afraid of something that can potentially kill you? At any rate, I'm glad the event is over and after this event I have decided to put some emergency supplies in the closet (like a flashlight) lol for next time.

2 comments:

  1. We had Tornado sirens last week and had some of the same discussions with our boys. We talk about "safety" all the time. What we do in the event of an emergency: fire, tornado, "bad guy". We have specific plans for each emergency and talk about different scenarios so they won't have to figure it out themselves in the event of a real emergency.

    I think it's helpful to have a plan of action so they (and you) know what to do-less chance for chaos. It also helps to dispell the fear factor.

    Good call on a flashlight in the closet though-we should do that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, a flashlight is a good idea. :) I'm glad everyone is all right.

    ReplyDelete