Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The easy way out

Today's school day ended with a somewhat unexpected visit from Antonio's teacher. She first explained how he has been disruptive to other students learning process and that he was very disrespectful to her today. (take into account that she knows of his situation). With all that said I thought I knew what was going to come next. I expected her to say that she was going to move his friend ( the student who he is disrupting the learning process of) to another class, this was talked about earlier but never done. Instead she suggested moving him to another class with a male teacher (something I think will help )and she wants to put him in the gifted program at school. Now maybe its just me being a mom, but I'm finding it hard to reward his poor behavior with praise. I think maybe his teacher is finally throwing in the towel with him and might be trying to make this look like a good idea. So as I pondered weather he truly deserved to be in the gifted program ( and talked with him as well) I started thinking about how lately I too have been making excuses to myself about why I cant go and jog at the track. " It's too cold outside" is a favorite since i loath the cold. After all the thoughts I came to two conclusions, one: Antonio is a very smart child and being in the gifted program might be a real challenge to him , and two: I need to get my butt out to the track and quit taking the easy way out or I'm never gonna loose this weight. lol

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about not rewarding bad behavior, but if he is not challenged in his regular class you run the risk of him giving up on school because it isn't challenging. And we all like a challenge, even if it is just a jog around the track. :-) I feel your pain there-I haven't run in over 2 weeks and I'm regretting it! I'm trying to find a way to keep it up when it's below 20, icy, or deep snow. Those are my "cop out" conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm with Janelle. The notion of "rewarding" his behavior by placing him in an elite social group seems backward but part of his outward behavior may be a reflection of boredom and monotony of information he has already mastered. The challenge of the gifted program might help him focus and revamp his drive to learn (and, in turn, behave more appropriately.

    I hear you on the "taking the easy way out" business. I have to get my buns in gear after this baby comes so I can be ready for summer. My biggest challenge is fibromyalgia which doesn't affect me at the time that I'm exercising--it comes the next day when I'm completely immobilized. So I need to spread out the effort a little more. I tend to go full force on a day when I'm feeling good but then pay for it dearly the following day. So by pacing myself, hopefully I'll be able to make some headway. :)

    Sending a big hug!

    ReplyDelete