Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Helping out a friend in need

As you all know, I was up in Ohio this past week, visiting my mom. They were absolutely shocked that I showed up. The day of the surgery arrived and I could tell she was nervous. My Dad, brother, sister, and her brother and sister all went down to the hospital with her. I wanted to go but knew that I could better server her by taking my grandmother who's 88 now, down when she wanted to go. So I helped take care of her all day. As we sat in the waiting room at Miami Valley Hospital, talking and telling stories, I wondered how the operation was going and what kind of news we would get. There were people there with clearly bad news so you kind of expect it. I mean after all people don't come to the surgery ward in the ICU area for minor stuff. When the doctor finally did come back to let us know the surgery was done he asked us to come to a debriefing room. I knew my grandma didn't want to go by the worried look on her face and my Uncle didn't either, he was way to upset I think. They were gone for a long time, and when they finally appeared none of them looked happy, so we assumed the worse, but turns out everything went okay. We spent the next 5 hours waiting in the waiting room for her to be brought to her room in the ICU and plugged in and stuff, finally we got to go back in groups of twos. It was a very long day, but the next day and the few days following we went back. Just me and my Dad went the next couple of days but I was there every step of the way. After all , she is my best friend. I was sad to leave before she got to come home but she was doing great and got to come home the next day! They told her that the tumor was not related to her breast cancer and just lucky that they found it. It was also benign(not cancerous). So her prognosis is good. I'm really hoping next trip up will be more lighthearted and I can come and visit some of you. But I wanted to let you know that the doctors said they had never seen anyone her age recover that fast from brain surgery so those prayers must have worked well. Thank you !

2 comments:

  1. That's a praise story if I've ever heard one! I'm so glad you chose to come up and be with your mom. Totally the right thing to do. We'll continue to pray for her recovery, I know that can be hard sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was goign to say the same thing as Janelle. PTL for a good prognosis! I will also continue to pray for her recovery and for the rest of your family. Wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete