Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A dying Tradition

While talking to my mother today I realized that when all my aunts and uncles have past away so will the long standing tradition of family get together. My mother being from a family of 7 always kept in touch and had monthly family reunions with her entire family, I can recall going to them ever since i was a small child. Now at 32 my mom and her sister are all that are carrying on this tradition, My grandparents have past away and get together are less and less. Realizing that once my mother and father pass away there will be no one to hold these family reunions made me a bit sad. As I told my mom that I felt the tradition would die away with her, I could almost hear the sadness in her voice. I then came up with a notion that absolutely frightens me,
Me and Chon have always wanted a large family, and we really wanted to carry on the family reunion tradition with our family, and now, against all fibers of my being, I am going to try and include my detached family. This is no small task, since my brother and I have not been on speaking terms in about 15yrs. and My sister and I only socially talk. But for my mother's sake I am going to try and carry on her family's tradition so it wont die out.

2 comments:

  1. So hard I know. Good for you though! My brother and I haven't been on good terms for about 10 years so I understand what that will be like for you to try to work that out.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tall order, I know. But in the end, if by reaching out you can stitch back together some split seams in your family quilt, your efforts will have been worth it.

    Wishing you the best on this journey!

    ReplyDelete